Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Last Minute Buck. 2011



On this particular opening weekend we weren't seeing very many deer. Skip had shot a young doe but the rest of us (David, Mike and I ) not so much. Now it was Sunday afternoon, I had spent all day in the Blueberry Swamp Stand (east side) and I was scheduled to go back to work the next day. It kept going through my mind what my work schedule was for the coming week and whether I should postpone work obligations and stay another day at deer camp or just come back the weekend after Thanksgiving and try again. The decisions were not easy to come by but fortunately I didn't have to make the choice:

About ½ hour before sunset I saw a deer moving down by the swamp, about 80 yards down the hill. I noticed antlers and that they weren't large or numerous. However, seeing that we had so little venison this weekend I wasn't going to be particularly picky. I confess, I was in the “if it's brown it's down” mode. If I had seen this same buck early on Saturday morning I probably would have passed on him but on Sunday end-of-day, I was not hesitating.

The buck was walking at a moderate rate from right to left, north to south and I started shooting. The first shot was through some brush and just hurried the buck a bit. The second shot was the same as was the third. My fourth shot was taken when the deer was finally in a clear shooting lane (which I probably should have waited for in the first place) and I finally connected. I could tell I hit him well as he disappeared from sight. I figured he went down and after my self imposed wait of 20 minutes I climbed down to investigate.


He was lying about 20 feet from where I hit him and very much dead. Only one hole in him, by the way. A young six pointer with one broken off point (I wonder how that happened?!). Not a trophy but a provision from God for which I was very grateful.